Monday, September 7, 2009

'Twas the Night Before Kindergarten


'Twas the night before Kindergarten
and as they prepared,
kids were excited
and a little bit scared.

They tossed and they turned
about in their beds,
while visions of school supplies
danced in their heads.

Erasers and crayons
and pencils galore
were stuffed in their backpacks
and set by the door.

Outfits were hung
in the closets with care,
knowing that kindergarten
soon would be there.

Our summer has come to an end...and my baby is off to kindergarten in the morning.
I am not sure how I feel about that exactly. Very emotional is probably accurate. As a child (and now as a teacher), I have always loved this time of year. The minute the school supplies go on sale, I get excited for the upcoming school year. Crazy, I know!!! I still buy myself new supplies...just because there is nothing better than a new box of crayons, fresh erasers, and bright, juicy markers. I have always loved school, and I guess that is one of the reasons I became a teacher 13 years ago. Hard to believe I have been at this profession that long already! Tonight I have a totally different feeling...it's one of mixed emotion.

When what to my wondering eyes
should appear
but tiny, wet, happy, sad,
back to school tears...


May you find joy in learning new things this year Nolan. We're going to go into school together tomorrow morning holding hands...with smiles on our faces...and a desire to learn in our hearts. I love you little man...best wishes for a great school year!

No comments: