Friday, September 18, 2009

Dancing Queen

Background Information:
Lilly just loves to giggle, wiggle, shake, shimmy, twist, twirl, and prance around. She imagines herself as a princess or fairy, and pretends to be in a land full of magic and happiness. One can witness this on any given night at the Houghton house. If you stop by, you will most likely see her in this outfit. She insists on changing into it the minute we get home from daycare and happily prances around the house, yard, and even to Grandma's house in it. I had to invest in a second one, because she barely gives me enough time to wash it...
Because of this history, I thought she would enjoy going to dance class...so we signed her up to participate in both dance and gymnastics on Thursday nights through the St. Cloud School of Dance. Going to dance class was all she talked about, and she twirled her way to the car in hopes for a magical experience on the first night of class. However, when we got there...she didn't have a single twirl in her...unless you can count the way her hands were wrapped around my leg! I was shocked. How can an energetic, little dancing queen do a 180 so quickly? Lots of people, new surroundings, and fear that mom would leave can cause a three year old to act quite differently. So, I put on my dancing shoes and started to wiggle and giggle with the class. It didn't take long for Lilly to warm up. By the end of class, she was enjoying herself. I am hoping that a little more of her dancing side comes out with each session. We know it's in you Lilly. Always remember... you're our shining star!

No comments: