It took a little longer to get settled than I anticipated. In the past when we've moved, I am unpacked the same day we move and hanging pictures a day later, but this time around was different. It happened in stages:
Stage 1: July 22nd- Signed papers to make it officially ours.
We had to wait to a week to receive the keys from the previous owners due to an interest rate change and our plea to close earlier than we had originally planned.
Stage 2: July 30th- We got keys!!!
Mike cleaned the carpets and I rewiped out all the cupboards and cleaned the house.
Stage 3: August 1st- Moving Day!!!
Stage 4: Unpacked items from the apartment and discovered items from storage that I forgot I owned. The storage garage items led to the next stage...
Stage 5: Plan for a garage sale. If I forgot we had it...we don't need it! All unwanted items were sorted, repacked, and put back into the garage for future garage sale.
Stage 6: Painting!!! Nolan and Lilly finally have their own bedrooms. The painter arrived three days later (August 4th) with a can of blue and a can of pink paint!
Stage 7: Slumberland delivers...we had to spend the first week without a kitchen table and beds for the kids. A card table and chairs were set up in the kitchen and the kids and I slept on a mattress in our master bedroom. Poor Mike was stationed on the couch in the bonus room. Slumberland's delivery (August 7th) was initially going to be our first night in the house, but those powerhouse movers had us sleeping there a little ahead of schedule. :)
Stage 8: Decorating...this is the part I LOVE!!! I have been decorating this house since the minute we signed the purchase agreement back in June. All summer long, I searched for the perfect items to fill our home. It was a lot of fun visualizing how it would look once I made it ours. All the pictures were hung with care and each piece had its place. Everything came together like I wanted it to. It's perfect and I am so happy with how things turned out.
Stage 9: Assembly required! Mike spent numerous nights putting things together. From our patio furniture, to Lilly's bookshelf, to his storage units in the garage, etc... I patiently waited for these things to make their way out of the box and into their appropriate rooms so I could continue to organize. I am still waiting on my scrapbooking shelves...no pressure Mike :)
Stage 10: Garage Sale of the Century! In order to get the garage organized like we wanted to, we had a big garage sale the week after we moved in (August 12-14). One person's junk is another person's treasure!
Stage 11: Cable, phone, and Internet hook-up...Charter kept us disconnected from the world for about three weeks! It was a little painful at times, but also nice! It wasn't until August 21st (three weeks and 100 cellphone calls later) that we had service. We were too busy to go through major withdrawals, but it definitely made life a little trickier.
Stage 12: Up-keep...back to mowing the lawn, reading the water meter, and putting out the garbage. This house happens to be a little more work than the apartment. :)
Stage 13: Relaxing...I think that after a month of being here, we can finally relax in our new home. Of course there are still things to do, but we have alllllll winter. Homes are supposed to have ongoing projects! :) The really big things behind are us, so I think it is safe to say we're officially settled. (Sept. 4th)
We love our new home and it feels like it was built just for us.






No comments:
Post a Comment