Monday, January 19, 2009

We Have Dreams...

May all your dreams come true little man!
I dream nothing but the best for you, sweet Lilly!

I took these pictures of the kids wearing my glasses yesterday, because for some odd reason they think it is so exciting to put them on. I am not sure if it makes them feel more grown-up, a little more like dad and me, or just a bit smarter. They do look cute in them, but I am not so sure it's the best idea since they've cost me approximately $450 a pair! Yikes!
Anyway, they looked cute...and visions of a scrapbook page entitled "My Little Einsteins" flashed before me. Whenever, I have a scrapbooking vision, am pretty easy to sway. In fact, Nolan is starting to remind me to go get my camera, so I can capture whatever silly stunt they're performing.
The scrapbook page was going to be used to show some of the things their proud of doing at age two and four...

Nolan @ age four:
* Writes the alphabet and knows each of the letter sounds
* Can identify all upper and lower case letters
* Can count to 100 and up to 10 in Spanish
* Can count by tens to one hundred
* Knows a lot of the basic addition facts by heart
* Buckles his own seat belt
* Can zip and button
etc...

Lilly @ age two:
* Can count to 20
* Knows her colors
* Can recite mealtime and bedtime prayers by heart
* Can get dressed and undressed all by herself.
* Knows the days of the week.
etc...

My visions took a slight detour this morning, when Nolan went to turn on our usual 8:00 a.m. cartoon program. Curious George was not in it's scheduled time slot, because today is Marting Luther King Day! A documentary of his life was being shared with young viewers like Nolan. Nolan wasn't at all disappointed, but curious. Who was this man that they were talking about? I explained how unfairly African Americans were treated many years ago, and the fact that Martin Luther had a dream. Through determination and hard work, his dream for all people to be treated equally (regardless of their skin color) became a reality. I did go as far as the "I Have a Dream" speech with him, because he seemed to be grasping my mini-lesson.
It was after our discussion, that it dawned on me! I realized that the photos of them in my eyeglasses could be used as a scrapbook page about their dreams! Nolan has been sharing goals with me in last couple of weeks, because not only did I write resolutions for myself, but our whole family came up with goals and things we hope to accomplish in the coming year.

So this morning, I asked the kids again what their dreams were. The lists stayed pretty consistent:

Nolan:
* I hope I can ride my bike without training wheels this spring.
* I want to be able to tie my own shoes.
* I want to learn how to read. (This goal makes me SO HAPPY!)
* I want to ride in an airplane. (Every child's dream!)
* I hope I can rollerblade to the park without tipping over.
* I want to have a pirate themed birthday party when I turn five.
* I want to be a good boy.

Lilly:
* I want to learn how to write my name.
* I want to go to preschool.
* I hope that I can have a princess party.
* I hope I get to go to the doll store (American Girl Store).
* I want to get more treats!
* I hope I can get a puppy at our new house.

My biggest wish is for my family to be safe, healthy, and happy! With God in our lives, I believe that these wishes are very realistic. We all have dreams and things we hope to accomplish in our lifetime. May each of us remember that all things are possible. We can do everything through Him who gives us strength. Philippians 4:13





1 comment:

The Grabinski Family said...

Love this post Shannan, you are awesome!!!