Sunday, December 21, 2008

My Great Depression



Last weekend, while I was out Christmas shopping, I spotted this dreadful sign. I actually couldn't believe my eyes, so I had to call them right then and there on my cell phone to see if what I read was true. Could the store I call my home away from home really be closing? I didn't want to hear it, I couldn't bear the thought of losing our Friday night hangout. My stomach hurt and my heart ached. To my horror, it was indeed true.
People aren't spending on their hobbies like they used to the owner told me. People are cutting back during this hard economic time. As hard as it was, she had to make the decision to close the store. My heart goes out to her and all the employees. Things are tough for many people right now. Many businesses and families are struggling to make ends meet...and it stinks!
I have been in a state of shock, depression, and mourning all week. I made two trips into the store, because I knew they would be my last. When I made my final purchase today, I started to cry... to some, it probably sounds silly, but it was indeed a home away from home. Scrapbooks Plus was a place where my friends and I gathered to be creative and preserve memories. I will deeply miss our hangout.

1 comment:

The Peterson Family said...

Shannan, I know this was hard for you but your post made me giggle!!  Thank you for putting a smile on my face!