Monday, December 22, 2008

Gingerbread Creations

Click to play
Create your own slideshow - Powered by Smilebox
Make a Smilebox slideshow



The whole family had a lot of fun creating our homemade gingerbread house and train tonight. I am not one who particularly enjoys baking dozens and dozens of Christmas cookies, so I thought that by creating these, it would fill the holiday baking void. Holiday baking is not my cup of tea. Baking a variety of cookies not only takes a lot of time, but it creates an enormous mess...which I have a hard time dealing with. One batch of brownies or cookies on a Saturday is about all I can handle.
My thought with these kits was this: It will be something fun to do on a cold winter's night, and it will allow my kids the opportunity to create a Christmas (semi-baked) goodie with less mess. My idea proved to be good in many ways: 1) it only took 40 minutes, 2) it was a blast, and 3) it was festive! However, I was definitely wrong about it making less of a mess...by the time we finished, we were all covered in frosting! Good thing it was tasty enough to lick off. Both kids loved all the candy that accompanied the kits, and we luckily got Lilly to add some before eating the majority of it! I am afraid we won't be bringing these to any of the upcoming family potluck dinners...good thing I am not in charge of dessert this time!

1 comment:

The Grabinski Family said...

Shannan,
That's super cute. I hear you about the mess that Christmas cookies make. We do it in stages and I put wax paper EVERYWHERE. I always have to say a special prayer that I don't lose my cool and to remember that it's for my kids...it's hard for neat freaks to handle...