Friday, October 24, 2008

A Big Day for Nolan

Dear Nolan,
I just wanted to tell you how proud of you I am, and how much I love you. Today was a big day for you. Going to the U of M Children's Hospital was a little scary and tiring for you, but you did it. I knew you were a little anxious, because you weren't able to fall back asleep this morning. You've never had to get up at 4:00 in the morning before. Counting all the semi trucks on the road seemed to help take your mind off things. When we arrived at the hospital, you had a lot of questions. You were really worried about having another I.V. placed in your arm, but luckily they saved that part for when you were sleeping. The only thing that bothered you were the big hospital socks with grippers. (You thought they were a little itchy.) I thought you looked cute in their jammies.
You loved the T.V. in the bedroom and were able to watch a cartoon before they wheeled you off to the operating room. The doctors and nurses all thought you were really brave and cute. Many stopped by and asked you questions. You received a lot of stickers from them (even before the surgery). They sure kept you busy, and it made the morning go pretty quickly. When it was time to take you to the room, dad followed you in his blue suit. It kind of looked like a space suit. Dad's mask even had whiskers on it, so it made him look like a tiger in a space suit. We giggled about that. You weren't too scared being wheeled to the OR, because I think you were pretty fascinated by the rolling bed. Hearing you say, "I love you, mom," as they rolled you down the hall, melted my heart. I had a difficult time walking behind you. I have to admit, I was scared. The nurse brought me to the waiting room where I could see your name on a T.V. screen. The screen told me where you were and how long it would be before I could see you again.
Dad said you did great! He got to go in with you and hold your hand, while you drifted off. You got a little giggly from the laughing gas and then slowly fell asleep.
Both dad and I were surprised when the doctor found us in the cafeteria 20 minutes later. We thought it was going to take an hour, but he reported that we have a very healthy little boy. He said your tummy was a nice pink color and was in good shape considering all you've been through. He did tell us that you had some bumps on your small intestine, but we shouldn't worry. They are going to call us in a week with biopsy results. He is still worried about how much you vomit, and said we would talk about that more when the results from your tests came back.
We were so happy to hear that news Nolan! It took you about 30 minutes to start waking up, so we still had to wait outside before we could come back in to see you. When they called us in, I wanted to run to you...just to hold your hand, run my fingers through your hair, and kiss your cheeks. I wanted my little boy back. You were extremely tired and not super responsive, but recognized us and gave us a half grin when we walked in the room. I can't explain the emotion that ran through me at that moment. I felt so much love for you, that my heart ached. I also felt regret...I am sorry for getting upset with you and losing my patience sometimes, but I am trying to be the best mom I can be. The sweet inncence of you, your sensitive side, and your love of life flashed before me and I instantly prayed to God to thank him for giving us the joy of you. We stayed by your side for about an hour and then were transferred back to a regular room. It took about another hour for you to gain enough strength to sit up and visit with us. The nurses brought you a Popsicle and a purple balloon to help you feel better. It was nice to see your smile return. The only tears we saw were at the very end, when they took the tape off around the I.V. and removed the needle. They only lasted a minute and you were ready to go home.
We made it home in time for lunch. You even woke up and asked if we could stop for rice and beans. =0) This made me smile, because I knew my little Nolan was back! I love you so much buddie. We are doing everything we can to try to figure out why you're sick so much. Thankfully, your spirit shines bright and most days you're a pretty happy-go-lucky four year old! I pray you never loose that, because you (and your sister) mean the world to me (us).
Hugs and kisses XOXO,
Mom

1 comment:

The Kern Family said...

I'm glad everything went well for Nolan!