Sunday, July 18, 2010

Anniversary Weekend

Stillwater, MN

Gondola Ride on the St. Croix


Lunch on the patio...great view and food!

Comedy at the Chanhassen Dinner Theater

Last year, Mike surprised me with weekend getaway for our 10 year anniversary, so this year I thought I would take on the challenge of planning a surprise weekend. (Simply returning the favor.) It was very unexpected since we had done something so extravagant last year...perfect for me- the party planner. I had his parents lined up to watch the kids and told him that we were going to go to dinner and a movie. It didn't take long for him to find out that is was not going to be anything close to typical date night.
First, I took him to Munsinger Gardens. He got a little paranoid thinking that I had lined up a photographer to take pictures here...but no, just wanted a starting spot for our journey. This park does have a special meaning though. It was where we went on our first date, had our first kiss, and then where we went after we said our vows on our wedding day. We did have wedding photos taken here, so I think that's what made him think there were going to be more pictures. Anyway, I sat him down and gave him an envelope with clue #1. It was a postcard with water waves and five numbers all cut from different magazine articles. He quickly caught on to the fact that this was a zip code. He typed it into his phone and up popped "Stillwater". He gave me a puzzled look and I told him that this is where we going to go to celebrate. After taking one park photo, we got in the car and were on our way.
He started to get a little nervous, but I reassured him with preprinted MapQuest directions and led him right to the hotel. At the hotel, the front desk person delivered clue #2. This envelope concealed two tickets to ride the Gondola at sunset. I told him that he could select a restaurant in town and that we'd need to be at the dock at 8:00 for departure. We ate on the patio at the Freight House. Great food, conversation, and weather! It couldn't have turned out more perfectly. After our ride we went to Pappy Pete's and listened to some music. While visiting, we were interrupted by a phone call...Clue #3! We needed to head back to the room, because if all goes as planned...we'll be setting our alarm for 4:00A.M. Back in the room, I gave him clue #4. This enveloped had a card inside with a balloon stapled to it. Yes, we were indeed going to be going up in a hot-air balloon. This is something both Mike and I have always wanted to do. We really lucked out, because our flight was the only one that worked out all weekend. The balloonist told us that most people never get to go up on their selected day. So many weather factors play into it. Thank you God for "perfect" flying weather. The ride was absolutely amazing. (see next post).
We did go back to the hotel for breakfast and a morning nap before leaving Stillwater. We also enjoyed one more stroll downtown and had lunch on the river. At this point, the weekend could have been over. Time to head back to get the kids...but not quite yet...another clue! We were not going to be heading home, we were off to the Chanhassen Dinner Theater to see a comedy show! Mike and I went to the next hotel and worked out, rode on the waterslide, and got ready for another fun evening. It was also time for my last surprise... our wedding video. I had packed a VCR and our tape so we could relive what we were doing 11 years ago on this same night! It brought tears, smiles, and laughter. I can see why I fell head over heels for him and can say that he still gives me butterflies. We saw what had to be one of the funniest comedy shows we've seen in a long time. It was improv, so everyone in the audience was part of the show. They even managed to get me up on stage for an act.
Everything went perfectly! I really impressed my husband (glad I can still manage that after all these years). We definitely have fun when we're together and it was a wonderful way to celebrate our friendship and love.




No comments: