Wednesday, November 26, 2008

I Am Truly Blessed

At Thanksgiving time, I am reminded of all the things I am thankful for. When I stop to consider the many blessings in my life, I become more optimistic, appreciative, and humble.

This Thanksgiving I am particularly grateful:

* My husband...Mike and I have been happily married for close to 10 years. He is my best friend and pillar of strength. When life spins out of control, he has a way of bringing everything back into focus. I am so grateful for his unconditional love for me and the kids.

* Nolan is truly a one-of-a-kind son. He has a special way of making me smile. His energy for life, outgoing personality, and sensitive side make him so lovable. Nolan tells me he loves me about 20 times a day. Sometimes, it's out of the blue...it makes me stop for a moment to thank God for the gift of him.

* Lilly is a real sweetie. She melts my heart with her constant smile, expressive personality, and contagious giggle. Her carefree way makes me realize that everything doesn't have to be perfect. Lilly is extremely independent...most days, I am thankful for this leadership quality.

* My family...they all bring me so much comfort, support, and unconditional love. The time we spend together and how much each of you cherish my kids makes me so happy. Thank you for all the memorable moments.

*My friends...where would I be without them? You are all so special to me. Thanks for always being there for me. We've had a lot of fun together over the years.
*My health...and the health of my family and friends. We are truly blessed with great doctors and nurses. I pray for good health for us all.

* My job... I am thankful that I still find joy in going to work each day. Being a teacher is both challenging and rewarding. Helping kids find joy in learning new things, as well as being able to use my creativity on a daily basis is something I am grateful for. Plus, I have an awesome teaching partner! Getting paid for doing something you enjoy doing is almost like not working. I can't forget that the paychecks help fulfill my need to shop. =0)

* My home...even though we will soon be leaving our house, I am so thankful for all the memories we've made here. Because it was our first house, the one we brought both kids home to, it will always be remembered as a great home. Even though our family has outgrown it, there was never a shortage of love in it. The fact that it sold makes me sad at times, but it is also another reason to count my blessings...God has plans for us and it is time to move on. We will never forget the fun gatherings...

* Owen...our godchild is something we continue to thank God for daily. What God did for him and our family is truly a miracle!

* Scrapbooking...it is more than a hobby, it is a way of life. It allows me to record all the things I am thankful for. Memories that might be lost forever if I don't preserve them. A creative outlet, a time to be with friends, a passion. Hopefully, my kids will look back on their books someday and know just how much their mom loved them!

*Grey's Anatomy...this is the only T.V. show I watch regularly, and it's one time Mike and I can spend time together. Even though it's only one hour a week, it's great to cuddle with my husband. He won't admit it, but I think he enjoys it too.

* Naptime...I am so happy my kids still take an afternoon nap. This time is so precious! It's a time to unwind, a time to catch up on things around the house, a time to blog, a peaceful, stress free time, it's my ALONE time. And sometimes, I even use it for naptime.

* Daycare providers, teachers, coaches, instructors...all the people in my children's life who help them become more well rounded individuals. We are blessed my their patience, knowledge, and caring ways.

* Cellphones...my kids would say that I talk on the phone too much. There really isn't anything wrong with staying connected with my family and friends, right? I have been obeying Mike's rule and quit answering the phone during mealtimes. The cellphone allows me to talk with people before picking up my kids or when I am away from home and can actually concentrate on the conversation instead of trying to talk and discipline my kids at the same time. Why do they always act up when the phone rings??

* My faith...because without God, I wouldn't have all these wonderful things to be thankful for. Trusting in Him and knowing He is with me and my family at all times, makes life easier. Thank you God for filling me with your love and letting me know that I am not alone when life isn't going perfectly.

* And the simple things in life... pizza delivery, chocolate, dessert, coupons, sales, my car, the fact gas prices are down, no credit card debt, a savings account, a safe community to live in, the pool and movie theater and workout room and heated garages that will be in our new apartment, clothes and the fact I can buy them without my husband throwing a fit (even when there are too many in my closet), my camera (I would be lost without it), vacations, sunshine, flowers, parks, this blog and the vacuum cleaner (they're so therapeutic), antibiotics (so we can get sleep in our house), treats (Lilly's happy pill), restaurants (no cooking and no dishes), music, books, magazines, movies, Dt. Coke, and all the other countless blessings in my life...

I hope this Thanksgiving season is full of grateful blessings for you and your family!

May your stuffing be tasty,
May your turkey be plump,
May your potatoes and gravy,
Never have a lump.
May your yams be delicious,
And your pies take the prize,
May your Thanksgiving dinner,
Stay off of your thighs.

No comments: