Friday, November 7, 2008

Home Alone (Day 4)

This has been a crazy week. Mike had the opportunity to fly to Las Vegas on Tuesday for work, which left me home alone with the kids. Usually this is not a problem. I can juggle work, household duties, and the responsibilities that come with two toddlers...but this week was different. Tuesday night was a very restless night. Nolan still has his cough, and it came back with avengance. He has been vomiting several times a day and can't go an hour without a major coughing spell. Because he was snack helper, he insisted on going to school Wednesday morning. He is so used to dealing with this, that I think he thought he could make it. I got a phone call at about 10:00 from his teacher. Nolan had been crying and couldn't really explain what was wrong. When I went down to check on him, he told me he had to puke. Poor little guy had been holding back all morning. Thankfully, we made it to the bathroom in time. He had a fever, so I took him to the doctor and we stayed home and rested. Wednesday night was not any better...I did manage to get close to four hours of sleep. We stayed home and tried to rest up. My head was throbbing like mad, and I felt very weak and dizzy. Nolan joined me at the minute clinic where they did a strep test and looked me over. The nurse reported a negative strep culture, but said that I had swollen lymph nodes and a lot of fluid behind my ears. That explained the headache and dizziness. We read books, did puzzles, colored, and watched movies to make the day pass. I had high hopes of returning to work today, but no such luck. I was awoken by Lilly at 1:45a.m. She had a fever of 102.4, so I rocked her, gave her medicine, and brought her to bed with me. (Nolan was also in my bed from a earlier coughing spell.) It wasn't easy sleeping with two kids in my bed. In fact, it was near impossible. I managed to get about 3 1/2 hours of sleep last night. Lilly is still running a fever this afternoon, but they are both finally sleeping...peacefully. That is where I should be too, but the medicine I am taking for the dizziness is keeping me up. So here I sit, doing what I love to do best. Sitting here gives me a feeling of normalcy. It's therapeutic! I am really looking forward to Mike's homecoming. Hopefully everything will be back to normal after the weekend.

1 comment:

The Kern Family said...

Wow what a night. I hope the Houghton clan is feeling better soon.