Wednesday, October 7, 2009

My "Heaven on Earth"

My Scrapbooking Room
I have always dreamed of having my own scrapbooking room...or should I say that it has been a dream of mine for the past five and a half years. Setting up shop in order to preserve a few memories was often more work than it was worth. What you see here was stored in large plastic bins and hauled to various scrapbooking retreat houses and mania scrap nights. It was a ton of work! If I did set it up at home, it seemed to get in the way or attract the kids like a magnet.
When we purchased this house, I ever so sweetly asked Mike what he had in mind for the fourth bedroom upstairs. He is typical guy and said that he really hadn't thought about it. The only rooms that were on his mind were the basement and the garage!

After two months of living here, I have designed a small piece of Heaven right in this house! It took me a little while to figure out exactly how I wanted to arrange, organize, and design the room...and even longer to get Mike to assemble the shelving units once the decision was made. However, they fit perfectly and turned out exactly like I had envisioned. I am able to organize and store all of my supplies so that they are ready to use when my creative side calls.
Pictures of my family hang on the wall under a rub-off that states, "We may not have it all together, but together we have it all." The paper behind the photos is what inspired the color theme in the room. The aqua blue walls are cheerful, bright, and calming all at the same time. Pink, lime green, chocolate brown, and white were the accents colors I chose. They work well and bring a lot of life to the room.
The white cupboard doors are perfect for hiding my stamp sets, ink pads, and various other embellishments. The drawers in the middle house my punches, cutters, tape, adhesives, and small do-dads. Black and white pictures of my family and friends are displayed throughout the unit, as well as the word "laugh", which makes me smile. The circular mirrors were added at the last minute. I think they work well amongst all the squares. Three canisters of goodies line the top shelf for the nights that require a surge of sugar. Snacks are a must in the scrapbooking world!



From my desk (which I scored on Craig's list), I get a nice view of the front yard. This room is particularly bright due to the double window, so it makes the perfect crafting room. Actually, Mike and I are glad that one of the kids didn't end up in here. The street lamp outside the window, even makes the room glow at night.

The clock on the wall is one of my favorite accessories. It was a "must have"... something that wouldn't have worked in any other room in our house, but is definitely perfect for this space.


This was our old nightstand, which I tried to pawn off on my Grandma...good thing she didn't want the pair. It made the perfect corner stand for all my letter stickers, chipboard, and miscellaneous goodies. I can be thankful that Mike doesn't pay close attention to the Craft's Direct receipts that come home. Yikes!

I added the pink Gerber daisy next to this rub-off to add texture and dimension.

I am so lucky to have a supportive husband. He knows how happy this hobby makes me, and I thank him from the bottom of my heart for allowing me to have my very own scrapbooking space. It feels so good being in here. I am hoping to accomplish a lot during the winter months, now that I don't have to set-up and take-down each time I want to work.
It is truly my "Heaven on Earth"!

Creating memories is something we're good at.
I hope to preserve them, so that our family can look back years from now and see that...
Together, we had it all!

No comments: